CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

10/3/08

My Gentle Giant

Years ago, I decided to start a journal for each one of my children. I would assign one night of the week to a child. I wanted to write funny things they did and said, my prayers for them, and bits and pieces of my life story. But, that did not last very long. By bedtime, I was exhausted. My daily to-do list never shrinks, and with all of the demands in a single day, I never found the time to just sit and do it.






When I started this blog, it was mainly to keep family and friends up to date with our family. But it quickly, turned my thoughts in a different direction. I wanted to use my journal idea with this blog. Also, if something happened to me, my children will have a place to hear my heart,to know my struggles, to know that the Lord is my Salvation, that He alone is my Rock, and without Him, I am worthless! Also, to hear how I felt about being their mom, the wife to their dad, and to know it is only by the Grace of God that I made it through my childhood


So, I guess I feel the need to say, that this late birthday entry, is not because I love Elijah any less, and did not want to make the time to offer up my praises to God for his precious life. (I am also behind on Priscilla, she was in August also, and three new ones in October, so, don't be surprised, if the next four birthday entries are late). One of the many things that I don't like about myself, is that I am a "procrastinator". I will put it off, until it has to get done, and then stress out and turn into a raging maniac.



SO, to get to the reason I wanted to write this. He is the fourth of eight children. In the first picture, I believe he was two years old. In the next couple of pictures, he is pictured with his sister Abby. They were the closest we had to "terrible twins", until Shiloh and Daniel came along. Elijah is one year and three days younger than Abby. Elijah has always been in the 90% range for his height and weight, and Abby has been in the 15% range. So, every where we went, people assumed they were twins. I know this is about Elijah, but I felt the need to share the "twin bond" that they shared. What was really strange, not only was there a very close bond, and they looked a lot alike, but they got the same exact teeth in, at the same exact time. No joke! All, other than Abby's first two.











He is all boy. From the rough deep voice, the desire to play pro-football, and to the love of tools. But, at the same time, he has a big heart. He is kind and loving. He is a Giant, with a Gentle Spirit.





He is also one of the most disciplined children we have had. I do not mean that, he has a disciplined character about him. I mean that for about three years, on a daily basis, he was receiving discipline. He can be quick to anger and frustration, and loose focus on reasoning.




In the last two years, I have seen some major differences. I have seen a huge growth in his maturity. The teachers at school love to tell me how smart he is, and they love to hear him verbalize how he processes math problems in his head.



He gets that from Cleyo. I hate word/math problems, my mind does not move that slow. I know some of you will find this hard to believe, but I think my mind goes twice as fast as my mouth! Ok, be nice, no comments please, you can just laugh at me from your side of the screen. I don't need someone to point out my sin issues, God has been faithful to reveal those to me, and I am working at being faithful to practice obedience. Why is it people feel the need to point out yours sins to you, as if God is not capable of doing that on His own??? (I)ncluded. Sorry, off subject again! Another one of those things that bothers me about myself! I can never just get to the point!



Lord, I praise you for the blessing of Elijah. I praise you for the desire he has to know you more. I praise you for the growth we have seen in him the last two years. Disciplining him was never easy, and for many days, even years, it seemed that it there was no progress. (I wonder if God ever feels that way about us?) I ask for forgiveness, for the many times I lost my patience with him. When in my anger, I have been a bad example.



I pray that he will know You, as his Lord and Savior. I pray for his life to bring honor and joy to You. I pray that he will be a faithful and honest man. I pray that you will give him a wife, who loves You, and knows You as Lord and Savior. And even though, at this moment, he is yelling and screaming at Sheldon. I would be broken, if anything ever happened to him.
I pray that You will give him patience, and give him calmness
in his moments on frustration.
I pray that you will use his life to bring Glory
to You. That Elijah will have a testimony of You.
That the bond with his brothers and sisters grow closer and closer, with every passing year.
I also pray that as parents, we will raise him in a way that is pleasing to You. Give us patience and grace, as we will not always do what is right.






Elijah, I love you, and I am thankful that you are my child.
I praise God for the gift of you! I praise God for your sweet
and tender heart.






4 comments:

Kati said...

May I just tell you that Matt and I thoroughly enjoyed having Elijah in Children's Church last month. Most of the weeks, he was the only boy with 7 or 8 girls and he handled it very well. And I think he enjoyed the role of being the only "man" in the room, besides Matt. He is totally kooky--getting a kick out of giving an off-the-wall-answer, and is lots of fun to have in there! (no discipline problems at all) We enjoyed him.

JanAl said...

Maybe I should have added that he turned 8.
And Kati~ I am glad to hear he is behaving for you. Unlike a couple years ago, we got pulled out of church almost weekly. He can be a show-off, and likes to get people to laugh at him, except when Sheldon laughs at him.
Thanks Matt & Kati for dedicating your love and time to teaching the kids.

Anonymous said...

ok, i'm glad to read your comment to kati, cause when i saw your post title, my first thought was "Gentle Giant???" i pretty much remember him in the nursery as a speeding locomotive :)

i've really enjoyed reading your tributes (you, kati and charity) to your children. they help give a more complete picture of what your children are like, and it's just sweet to hear your heart.

Charity said...

janal, it has been so cool watching elijah grow up! he has maybe changed more than any other child i can think of. when he and abby spent several afternoons with us this past spring, he could not have been any sweeter or more cooperative - and he's also an entertaining conversationalist! i guess he's the poster child for the slogan "See? Spankings really do work!"