CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

10/19/08

Silly Cilla

It was a Sunday evening, (the first Sunday of Fair), that she, Priscilla, decided she was coming out of my womb. Of all the labors I have been through, I remember Priscilla's the most.

We were at the Fair, of course! Now, I know most of you will not believe this next part, but it is true! As the contractions are getting stronger, and stronger, I tell Cleyo that we need to leave. But, I can not get Cleyo to stop talking to people!!! Seriously, I am telling him how much pain I am in, and he is still not hearing me. So, I do what all loving wives do, I get mean! Finally, we leave!


On the way home, it was all I could do to bear the pain of the contractions. Refusing to be in labor, I go home, start on housework, and let out moans in the process. I was not suppose to be going in labor, I had another two weeks until she was due, and a c-section planned in 9 days. So, I was refusing to do this!



It was driving Cleyo crazy, that I would not go to the hospital. Teressa Pierce calls, and wants to know how I am doing. Cleyo tells her that I am refusing to go to the hospital. Teressa gets on the phone and tells me to go now!

So I listen! Why? Because their is something about Teressa, that when she told me to do something, I could not help but listen. Teressa and Daniel even came to hospital within a few minutes after we arrived.

I told the nurses that I refused to be in labor! Can I still have my c-section? They kindly tell me, "well, we have to talk to the doctor". I guess they did not want to tell me,"no"! Because, shortly after that, Priscilla arrived! Although, I did not get my way, I am thankful that the labor was quick, not easy , quick!


The name Priscilla was decided last minute. We liked the name, but it was not a name that you hear anymore. Would it be too antique for a little girl? Would people call her "prissy"? (some did) Thankfully, kids that could not pronounce her name call her Cilla, and that has stuck with her. Then came the strangers... "Oh, like Elvis & Priscilla"? NO. Like Aquila and Priscilla. Three days ago, someone asked me where I got the name. I said, it is a bible name, and went on to tell a little about them. Great conversation starter. Although, I recognized this lady from a couple weeks earlier when she stopped at my home to invite me to her church. I think she was a little surprised that I knew where it came from. I do not believe that she remembered me, but I remembered her.














Who can forget the famous Christmas card,
"Look what we picked for you"!





Although, she was smiling in almost every picture I found of her. That is not how I remember it! She had severe colic! By the end of a day, I could not mentally focus on anything! No matter how much bouncing, rocking, or swaying I did, nothing would calm her down. And even to this day, she can be a major drama queen! (She gets it from her dad, JK, I know that I can be overly dramatic). She is also my boo-boo girl, every little scratch deserves a band aid. She also gets her stubbornness from me. She will flat out refuse to do something, and like two stubborn bulls, we will go head to head!



Unlike the four children before her, she has not had a sibling that she bonded to. I think the reason is because she spent two school years at home with me, while the kids were in school. For two summers in a row, I could not get her to play with the other kids for even five minutes, she was by my side for everything I did.





She also loves to aggravate people. (She does get that from Cleyo) Poor Elijah, everyday after Kindergarten, she would drive him crazy, make him cry, and she loved every little bit of it. And when my friend Susan would watch her, she would drive her little boy Sam crazy. When Sam's mom would tell him she was coming over to play, he would say; "Not Priscilla!" I don't know why, but their are certain kids that she loves to make them cry. She has gotten better. And she does play with the other kids now. Her and Abby also have somewhat of a bond. (only if Abby doesn't have someone else she would prefer to play with, then Priscilla is on her own). She also loves to play the Nintendo, and takes it very seriously. She has been grounded from it many times for breaking controllers. (because she slams it to the ground when she loses).




My
Pretty
Priscilla.




















Priscilla turned six in August, and is now in Kindergarten.






I pray Lord, that she will trust you as her Savior. I pray that you will give her a heart for others. That she will love others with an unconditional love. I pray that she will not believe the lies of this world, and that she will choose to believe that she is precious and beautiful to God. I pray for the man that You will bring into her life, I pray that he will know you as Savior, and that he will be a man of God, that he will be trustworthy, and a man of wisdom and strength. I pray for her health. I pray that you will take her strong will and stubbornness, and make use of it, to bring Glory to You! I pray that her bond with her siblings will grow closer and closer with every passing year. I give You all Praise and Glory for giving me the blessing of Priscilla.

7 comments:

Charity said...

Those are such sweet pictures!! I remember that week in August very well. :)

Margaret said...

I love it that you pray for God to use her strong-willed, stubborn nature for His glory! Those aren't necessarily bad characteristics if under the will of God! (hmmmm...wonder if i'm trying to justify...:)

JanAl said...

Charity~ At that time, I think we both agreed that Rachel should have been born first! :}

Margaret~ No, I agree. Although it has gotten me into more trouble, than I wish to remember!
But, God has used it in my life. I hope to His Glory. Even for my own survival. I believe that characteristic is what got me through my childhood! So, to that I Praise God! :} :} :} :} :}

Anonymous said...

i don't want to discourage you, but it took our little cami 13 YEARS to grow out of the stubborn, strong-willed nature that often brought me to the brink of insanity.

lest you think i exaggerate, even SHE says that she hopes she doesn't have a child like herself one day :)

but yes, there is hope!! these past two years have been sooooo pleasant!

~~anna~~ said...

I don't really know your children vry well, because I don't get to spend time with them. But I really love your tributes to them! Filled with so much love...

By the way, your family portrait is great! Is that for the church directory? Can't wait to receive ours so we can start putting names to faces.

JanAl said...

Dee~ I have not outgrown it yet, is there still hope for me? And you would think that teenage hormones would cause the stubbornness to be more noticeable?

Anna~ It is our directory pic, and it took them less than 15 mins to take it! Amazing! Especially, w/10 people in it! And there is much love in my heart for my family. I am very blessed and grateful for what God has given me. Each one is very precious, and I can not imagine life w/out any of them!

Margaret said...

I'm not sure one ever grows out of the personality God has given them, but spiritual maturity can definitely direct it in a more Godly way. I enjoy seeing my strong-willed children (notice I have more than 1) standing strong on the Word of God, not bowing to peer pressure, living what they believe. And it makes for lots of noise during discussions (ummm, maybe that's not a positive after all, although it sure keeps things interesting)