CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

8/13/09

Helping your man does mean:

  • Serious, specific, and continual prayer intercession.
  • Honoring his role as head.
  • Affirming his leadership decisions.
  • Being his "safe place."
  • Encouraging—but not pushing—his spiritual growth.
  • Communicating with honesty, humility, and gratitude.
  • Letting him know you're glad he's your man!
On the True Woman blog, the marriage killer #2, is The Control factor.

I have learned many hard lessons on this subject alone. From a very young age, I have taken care of myself. I am strong-willed and determined.
So, as I entered into my marriage, Cleyo did not have a chance against my "independent nature". I knew how to take care of myself, and I did not need anyone.
I was so independent that I could/would do it all, which now I realize how foolish it was on my part, because now Cleyo knows I am capable, and you know what that means ladies, MORE work for me! Many years of trying to "help" him, has backfired every time!
Within this past year, God has shown His power through prayer. Many, many months ago, I was really growing in God's word, and my desire to know Jesus and who He is, so that I could be more like Him, but, I felt like, "how can I continue to grow, if my husband is not growing with me, or even faster than me?". So, I began verbalising, to Cleyo, in a way that I thought was loving and kind, and which I still think was in a respectful way, that I wanted to see him(Cleyo) reading his bible and growing, so that I can be lead by him. BUT! Cleyo, did not respond well, and I really was surprised by his response. So after, a couple of weeks, I quit telling him how important it was for me, to see him grow in God and God's Word. And I began to pray. I knew that I had No power to convict him, and that my words, were not being received the way I thought they should have been. After a few months of praying, I began to see some changes. Cleyo was getting up and reading the Bible, he was being changed by God. I knew right away that God was faithful to hear my prayers and answer them.
A few months later, I printed a list of specific verses to pray for "husbands". Cleyo did not know that I was praying these verses over him, but, now looking back over the past several months, I can see how God used those verses, to work in Cleyo's heart. God knows our heart, so when we as wives are trying to be their helper, with manipulation or thoughts of controling our husbands, it will always backfire! But, when we take it to the Lord, He is able to work in ways that we can never understand!

4 comments:

Charity said...

Sorry, can't relate to having "control" issues! (haha) I just read the verse in Proverbs: "Better to live on a corner of the roof than with a contentious woman." Ouch! I was wondering why I keep finding Danny sitting up on the roof after dinner . . .

JanAl said...

Lol! ;]

Cathy said...

Janal ~ What you share here is so so true. I have found out the hard way in my own marriage that God does not honor my desire to control my husband, but thankfully He does honor my prayers on behalf of my husband. As I pray for God's grace to change me and correct my faults and to help my husband change where needed also, I have seen amazing results and answers to those prayers. Praise God for His goodness toward us!

Nan said...

Hi!

JanAl...I am so moved by your posts! You are an awesome woman and I'm so happy to have you as my sister in the Lord!

Nan