CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

12/5/08

6 Aspects of Humility by John Piper

I hope the words of John Piper will be a fresh reminder to those of us who claim to know Christ. Our pride, boasting, and judgements are pushing away people who need Christ as their Savior.
If we are to be like Christ, then where is our love for others?
Ephesians 5:1-2 'Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.'
Recent conversations, have me frustrated right now, with 'Christ Claimers', who put laws and stipulations on people of this world, at the same time forgetting what Christ has done for them. John 3:16

What purpose do rules and regulations serve, while trying to lead an unbeliever to Christ?


John Piper;
If humility is not compliance with relativism and is not sophomoric skepticism, what is it? This is important, since the Bible says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble” (1 Peter 5:5), and “Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted” (Luke 14:11). God has told us at least six things about humility.

1. Humility begins with a sense of subordination to God in Christ.
A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. (Matthew 10:24)
Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God. (1 Peter 5:6)

2. Humility does not feel a right to better treatment than Jesus got.
If they have called the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign the members of his household! (Matthew 10:25)
Therefore humility does not return evil for evil. It is not life based on its perceived rights.
Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps; . . . while suffering, He uttered no threats, but handed [his cause] over to Him who judges righteously. (1 Peter 2:21-23)

3. Humility asserts truth not to bolster ego with control or with triumphs in debate, but as service to Christ and love to the adversary.
Love rejoices in the truth. (1 Corinthians 13:6)
What I [Jesus] tell you in the darkness, speak in the light. . . . Do not fear. (Matthew 10:27-28)
We do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake. (2 Corinthians 4:5)

4. Humility knows it is dependent on grace for all knowing and believing.
What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it? (1 Corinthians 4:7)
In humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. (James 1:21)

5. Humility knows it is fallible, and so considers criticism and learns from it; but also knows that God has made provision for human conviction and that he calls us to persuade others.
We see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. (1 Corinthians 13:12)
A wise man is he who listens to counsel. (Proverbs 12:15)
Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade men. (2 Corinthians 5:11)

6. Humility is to believe in the heart and confess with the lips that our life is like a vapor, and that God decides when we die, and that God governs all our accomplishments.
Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." 14 Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. 15 Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that." 16 But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil. (James 4:13-16)

17 comments:

Nan said...

Hi!

THANK YOU!!!!

I needed to read this today!
I am in the midst of a trial that I'm very thankful for, a trial in the past that I would have struggled to be humble. But I am ernestly seeking humility and these truths from God's word brought about by the always eloquent John P. hit the nail on the head for me. God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform!
Love you,
Nan

Anonymous said...

LOVE your new layout!!
Hate your post, cuz I'm really bad at humility! :) (ouch!)

Charity said...

Great timing, Janal! God has been working overtime on me lately with this very topic . . . like Amanda, I've been realizing how far I am from where I should be. I'm not too thrilled about praying for humility simply because I don't want God to humble me!

One of the only ways Christ described Himself is "gentle and humble in heart." O, to be more like Him!

Jessi said...

I enjoyed this blog topic! John P. writes great books, and have you noticed that he can write several chapters by disecting one sentence?
I'm going to assume that the people who put the laws and stipulations on unbelievers are just like the Pharisees. The hard part is when the unbelievers look at us as though we are "sinless" (and O, how much of sinners we really are) :( we've just been covered by grace! We have to just keep living out what we're learning and digesting every single day. A slow work in progress;)

**joyful sigh**I don't know about you all, but i am soooo ready for Jesus to come back for us! Then petty laws and stipulations won't matter anymore.

JanAl said...

My frustration is with believers who are putting rules and stipulations on both, believers and non-believers. I loved what Danny's dad said this morning about letting God convict and work in the heart of the believer, and like I said in my post, recent conversations with people, whom I would love to see have a relationship with Christ are being pushed away from God and church, by those of us claiming Christ as our Savior. I just wonder if they see (some, not all) of us "sinless", because we are "portraying that", with our tongue and rules? Instead of a humble attitude of thanksgiving for the sacrifice of Christ on our behalf, and that we are still full of sin.
I want to make it clear that I did not put this post up because I have come to a point in my life where I have reached humility, lately it just seems I am hearing it from every angle.
After studying the life of Christ, and knowing that the bible says that we are to love like Christ loved, we are failing!!!
My hope and prayer is that we will each ask God to examine and reveal our "Christian walk and talk" to us. Is it portraying to friends and family that they are loved, and that they do not need a "to-do list" in order to go to our church, or to accept Christ as Savior?

Jessi~ I love John's teaching's. That is why I posted his words, and not mine!

Jessi said...

ya, i understand you on John's teachings...he's deep! :)

"recent conversations with people, whom I would love to see have a relationship with Christ are being pushed away from God and church, by those of us claiming Christ as our Savior."
Praise God that HE ALONE can call upon who he desires at His divine time, no matter how we act and what we do! :) I know i make the mistake of always thinking that I messed things up, and then i remember a familiar verse (colossians 1:16-17, i just bought a little card with this verse. I have an extra if you want one).

It is frustrating however, to see someone lost (or not lost) and not understand why God has not unveiled their eyes to His glory. And our fleshy hearts tend want to take the blame, or blame someone else for why God does what He does.
Thanks for the post, again!!!!

Jessi said...

Oh, i forgot, i hear you on the humility thing... and agree with what Charity said "gentle and humble in heart. O, to be more like Him."

JanAl said...

Jessi~ I am with you on God's Divine timing, but it does NOT excuse our behavior! :}
We are called for a purpose.
Christ acted out love to all that crossed His path, saved and un-saved.
"Messing-up" can lead to great opportunities for humility, and sharing our need for a Savior.
I am sooooo thankful that God's mercies are new everyday, and even though I fail constanly, He loves and forgives me. PRAISE GOD!!!
p.s. this is not a debate with you, I am just very passionate about this right now! :}:}:}:}:}

Kati said...

Just quietly "listening in" on this one. I don't feel like I have 2 cents to contribute, but I am right on the same page with you, Janal, and on all of the girls' comments.

I'm with Jessi's "joyful sigh". Oh Jesus, soon please!!!!

JanAl said...

Kati~ I respect your "quiet ability to listen in", if that makes sense?:}

Anonymous said...

I don't know most of you girls, but I cannot help telling you how truly refreshing it is to hear women longing for the return of our Lord. It's easy to sing it in a song or hear it in a sermon and nod our heads. But to see you referring to it in daily (blog) conversation is awesome! I am encouraged today because of it. :)

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Jess said...

I too love the new layout and I also love your post even though I have a difficult time with humility at times. Your blog comes at a very good time for me. Thanks Janal

Jessi said...

JanAl~ no worries. No appologies. I can read your passion...and i never felt like you were debating anything! And i do agree about the comment on "not excusing our behavior"
thanks...

JanAl said...

Jessi~ The debate comment was more for Cleyo, because he does not understand the concept of blogging, that we write comments back and forth to each other, and he was concerned that I might offend you, even though I tried to explain that it is normal to go back and forth with comments, and my comments were based on my own convictions. Also, since the words are typed out, you can not see tone and expression, I wanted you to know that this subject is strong in my heart right now. I pray that it is causing me to be on guard of my lack of humility.

Jenny said...

Humility, wow how I have been hit with that one lately. I have to remember that God does not need me- He wants me. (Casting Crowns quote, I think) I try so hard to be needed by God and to show that I am doing better. He does not need me- He wants me. Everything that I do is because He died for me and I want Him to know how much I love Him. He died for me before I started doing things better, but because I love Him, I try. I know that I am a failure, for when I did things on my own, I failed. But Through Him, I can succeed. Through Him, I can achieve high goals. Through Him, I can be good. The catch is, Through Him.

JanAl said...

Jenny~ Without Him, I am nothing. I love the quote we just learned in our Beth Moore study; Any good in me, is God.
Did you get my emails that I replied back to you, last week (?I think), my email was acting up, and I just wanted to make sure you got them , and to let you know that I did check out your other site.

JanAl said...

Jenny~
Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things THROUGH Him who strengthens me."
:}