CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

1/14/10

If God decided not to show up at your church next Sunday, would anyone notice?

Would He be missed?

Would the congregation immediately enter a time of corporate soul-searching and prayer to find out what was wrong? Or would you go merrily on your way as if nothing happened?

Many churches continue their routine business week after week, completely unaware that the Master of the house is not even there. It is like attending a party or a great banquet and having a great time but never even seeing or speaking to the host.

This was the problem of the church in Sardis. Christ, the Master of the house, had no words of commendation for Sardis because He found nothing commendable there. He told them, "I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead." No doubt the church in Sardis was very busy. They probably had a full range of ministries and services to their community. Undoubtedly their worship was proper and correct and perhaps even lively and entertaining. They had a good reputation and may even have had money and prestige in the city.

The church in Sardis had the form of godliness, the appearance of life. They thought they were alive and well. After all, they had a name that they were alive. Their only problem was that the Holy Spirit had departed, and they never saw Him go. They were dead and didn't even know it!

Contrast this with the church in Smyrna, which received no condemnation from the Lord, only commendation. Of this congregation Jesus said simply, "I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich). Whatever the Christians in Smyrna lacked in material wealth they made up for in spiritual riches. They may have been poor in the things that the world values, but they were rich where it counted - they had the King!

Where does your church fit? Sardis? Smyrna? Or somewhere in between? Even more important, where do you fit? God has this incredible idea that church is about Him. Yet so often we try to make it about us. We try to turn church into our own private "bless-me" club. Our entire focus centers on how many chills, thrills, and goose bumps we get and how well we are entertained. Rarely do we even think to ask what our King wants.

It doesn't matter how big your church is, or how rich. It doesn't matter how many programs and ministries you have. It doesn't matter how exciting your worship is or how eloquent your pastor may be. Without the King, you have nothing!

Don't settle for artificial worship and dead formalism, either for yourself or for your church. You have a choice: Sardis or Smyrna. Which are you? Which do you want to be?

2 comments:

JanAl said...

This was "one" of my morning devotions, for today.

Yes.....I think I have ADD, because I can not seem to stay focused on one thing, or maybe it is the Holy Spirit taking me exactly where I need to go for each new day. I totally think it is the later, because He always takes me exactly where I needed to be. (actually, a little of both, lol!)

Anyways.......I wanted to share this because with all the chaos that can happen before church, I can totally lose focus of why I am there. And while I do not go for the "bless me" kind of attitude, like High School, I do like the socializing part of it, but even then when I am having a bad morning, I would rather not be around people.

So this was convicting for me, that many days I do not go with an attitude that church is ALL about my LORD, but am thinking about my self.

And... if you have not read Charity's post "Speaking of Joy..." (linked on this blog), it is so good, and her honesty is such a blessing.

JanAl said...

ok....just to clarify, since I was on my way out the door when I wrote all of this.....

I love my church, I love the people in my church, I love my pastors and elders in my church, and I do believe that Christ is center of our church, but after reading this devotional, I really felt convicted that there are times when I go to church and Christ is not my focus, and He should be. Because without Him, it means nothing!