CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

7/15/09

Together, We are One

On December 30, 1995,
Cleyo and I made a covenant before God, and two became One (see Gen.2:21-24).
It is God who in each marriage ordains and performs a uniting called One flesh, it is not in man's power to destroy. Staying married is about keeping covenant. "Till death do us part", or "As long as we both shall live" is a sacred covenant promise - the same kind Jesus made with His bride when He died for her (JP). Marriage is a model of Christ and the church (see Ephesians 5:21-33).
Here are some links, that I thought were good~
Staying married is not about staying in love ,
God's showcase of covenant-keeping Grace ,
Forgiving and Forbearing,

When we got married in 1995, we had NO IDEA what the purpose of marriage was, and we had no knowledge of how sacred God holds marriage. Cleyo and I had dated since we were 16 years old, we had Sheldon when we were 19 years old, and when he was 3 months old, we got married. Let me just say that I had no idea what I was getting myself into, LOL! We loved each other, but it was naive and immature. Our views on marriage were very worldly. Cleyo has recently admitted that in the beginning of our marriage, he had questioned whether or not he wanted to be stuck with me the rest of his life, which explains his song for our marriage, "Happy to be stuck with you", and I went into our marriage with divorce already on my mind, that if it didn't work out, "oh well, everyone else gets divorced." At least Cleyo entered the marriage as forever, it has only been in the past 2-3 years that God has given me a different view of divorce. Honestly, I am not even sure how the wedding date happened. I had a very strong view against marriage growing up. I saw a lot of marriages fail, a lot of men abuse my mother, so WHY ? in the world would I want to get married, if it was just going to fail, and how could I ever trust a man to truly love me and to treat me good. And let me not forget that Cleyo never proposed, so how did I say yes to this? I remember refusing to get married just because I was with child. Sheldon was born in October, then the next thing I remember is that Cleyo was wanting to set a date before the end of the year for "tax" purposes, so on the last Saturday of 1995, we were married. Romantic, huh? Try not to be too jealous girls! Still to this day, I am not sure how it happened, and my only answer is that God is Sovereign!
Our marriage has failed to be what God had intended it to be, with many mistakes and hardships, because we did not start this marriage with the knowledge and purpose of God's design for it.

SOOOOOO, I am overjoyed to announce that on January 1, 2010, the beginning of our fifteenth year of marriage, we are re-committing our marriage vows to the Lord. The purpose of this is an outward confession, with friends and family as witnesses, that we are surrendering our ways, and our marriage to the Lord. I view this as very similar to a baptism, just as a baptism does not give you Salvation, it is an outward confession of your desire to follow Christ. The re-committing of our marriage does not unite us, we entered into this covenant on December 30, 1995.
Two weeks before I turned 18, I prayed and received Christ as my Savior, within a few weeks, I was baptised, because the church that I was at, told me that was what I needed to do, but looking back, I really did not understand what it was that I was doing. About three years later, I got baptised again, because I finally understood that it was about me confessing openly to others my desire to follow Christ, and ask for their accountability. As with the re-committing of our vows, we are wanting to openly confess that we understand God's purpose for our marriage, and we are committing to live out our marriage, in service to one another, forgiveness to one another, and Christ-like love to one another.

Cleyo is not the same man that I married, and I hope that he can say the same about me. God has changed both of us in many ways. God has blessed us in many ways. God has given us wisdom through His word. We will never be the same. Even though there have been hard and painful times, I would choose to marry Cleyo all over again. The deepness of my love for him, is beyond words. There is no doubt, we are One.

7 comments:

JanAl said...

1 Corinthians:7-8
"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, ENDURES ALL things, LOVE NEVER FAILS."

Jodi Bradshaw said...

I had heard that you guys were doing that in January!!! SO COOL - I LOVE IT! It is truly amazing that any marriage stays together (only through God's grace). Thanks for the post!

Nan said...

Hi~

What a moving post!

I am happy you are celebrating your wedding....again! But I'm not sure I can find the recipes to those ham and chicken sandwiches I made the first time around...

oh...maybe you weren't thinking of me for the catering?

That's ok! Romer's sounds good to me! lol


Nan

JanAl said...

Jodi~
I am thankful that the response to this so far has been very good, I told Charity that I was afraid people would think we were strange, and she said that it is too late for that! LOL!

Nancy~
Are you offering to pay for catering? lol! We are still working out the details. We obviously do not have a lot of money to throw a huge party, and even if we did, we would not want to. After we confess our vows before God and our witnesses, we want it to be a time of fun and fellowship. We love our friends and family, and we are thankful for the years of support we have received from all.

Dee said...

i love this testmony, janal :) and i love your reasons for renewing your vows. i imagine the vast majority of us could benefit from doing the same, since little did we know exactly what we were doing at the time! even with marriage counseling, it can be difficult to grasp just what marriage is meant to be if you've never experienced marriage before :)

anyway, this is a beautiful idea!

JanAl said...

Also,
I am up for ANY/ALL suggestions, that would make the fellowship fun and interactive, and the cost as low as possible, I know I have a lot of creative friends out there. ;]

Kati said...

I don't think you should worry about anybody thinking it is strange...I think it is an incredibly beautiful way to show the world that God has changed your hearts; that you understand better today the purpose of marriage than you did when you first made the vows.

To God be the glory!!!!