CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

7/13/09

One desire...

...of my heart has been to reach out to teenagers. Childhood circumstances and not having a parent to raise me, gave me no choice, other than to raise myself. I made many mistakes, I had to learn the hard way, because it had to be my way, and I was just so naive to the real world. I knew what it took to survive, but I did not know how to do simple things, like buy car insurance. I did not even know how to use a checkbook. I moved out on my own my Junior year of high school (and yes, I finished high school), into my own apartment, I worked a second shift factory job, in which I had to get special permission from the principal to leave school an hour early to get to my job on time (I had study hall my last hour), and cleaned offices on the weekends. I knew that in order to survive, I had to make money to pay the bills, but what I did not realize was their was more to life than paying bills.

For years I have desired to work with youth, especially ones that do not have family support, or maybe have family, but do not have a relationship that is needed. But I did not want to pursue it, I wanted it to be an invitation to me, knowing that it is God that opened the door.
So today, I was very excited and quick to say yes when I was asked to speak/teach this fall, to youth in an "Independent Living" class for teenagers in Foster care. I am not sure what I will be talking about, or what exactly God has planned in all of this, but what I do know is that I am excited about this opportunity.

5 comments:

the other said...

What is amazing is that God has given you the ability to become some sort of Wondermom, who juggles most of our billing, loves her Lord and Savior, and proven to me that you are a diligent, God serving, selfless wife that your husband has the joy of being with. Now that's a sentence.

JanAl said...

Cleyo~ I love you!

Amanda said...

You will do GREAT!!! Can I come to the class? LOL. Whoever does get to come will be in for massive blessing!!

Kati said...

Awesome! I will be praying for you as you prepare...Let me know if you have specific prayer needs.

Anonymous said...

i second kati's comment :)