CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

3/3/09

Pushing Politics in public schools

Last night, Abby shared with me that this is "Going Green" week at school. Now, before I get into why I am bothered by it, I want to state that I am in agreement with recycling, and taking care of the earth that God created, but what is disturbing is that this is just another attempt to push politics onto children. This year, as been by far the worst! It seems that "some" teachers speak without facts, like after Obama had been president for only two weeks, Elijah comes home and shares, that his substitute teacher, tells the whole class that he is the best president we have ever had. What? He has not even had a chance to prove himself. Now, maybe, if after a year, or so, she could say that, based on evidence, but two weeks, what did he do to make himself the best president ever?
Ok, I better get back to my original thoughts!
Any ways, Abby hands me some printed material she has to read, along with a letter from the teacher, stating that this is "Going green" week at school, and for her evening reading, it has to be this material, or any article about "going green". Now, I grew up in ,California, and I remember being taught about recycling and conserving water, (at that time we were having a drought). So, again I am not disagreeing with teaching children about about these things. But, as I look through the material, some is about recycling and waste, but most of it is very political. Some of it Abby would not even be able to understand, and a lot of it was geared towards adults.
So, in my attempt to make sure Abby is being taught the facts, I decide to find "any articles", about environmental issues, if she is going to read about it, we want her to know the facts.
My purpose on posting this was not to complain about the school system or teachers, but that we, as parents can be proactive about teaching and talking to our children at home, do not assume that just because they "go to school", that they are being taught facts.

And to share with you a cool new website, (not political or environmental), that I came across, as I was trying to find articles for Abby.
As the website states:
Believing it. Defending it. Proclaiming it.

Global Warming in Perspective - Answers in Genesis

Posted using ShareThis

12 comments:

DL said...

Wise points. I'll take heed.

Anonymous said...

that's true. i always say that parents are the primary teachers of their children, and we are simply "hired" (via their tax dollars) to help them do their jobs. i really like to partner with parents who care about the education of their children. will you consider sending them to FM? :)

JanAl said...

Dee~ Since you are a teacher, I am thankful that I did not offend you, that was not my intent, I am thankful for the teachers that are doing there job, and I have some really great memories of my teachers.
We have considered FM, and truthfully, I do not know what we are going to do next year, I am at the point that I would love to receive a letter from God, with specific instructions on it. I do know that Greenville city schools are probably not in our future.

Nan said...

Hi!

JanAl, I commend you for caring about what your children are being taught! And your response was excellent because you are putting what you believe into practice! We as Christians must believe what God says in 2 Tim. 3:16. We can absolutely never go astray by following the Scripture as the final source of authority!

Way to go!

Amanda said...

Janal,
You are the bomb-diggety! If every parent did what you do, I wouldn't be so deathly afraid for their children when they send them to government school.

Jenny said...

Okay, you know I am going to be that Sub that the parents are saying, "What!" I have been substitute teaching now for a couple of weeks. In order to help a high school girl with a paper I sent her to my blog, to go to other blogs in my blog list. Get that?? Anyway, the parents and other teachers are probably going to flip when they hear what I am telling the kids. I don't care. We obviously need the money now and I want them to call me to sub, but I am going to tell the kids the truth...age appropriate anyway.
I am so glad that you are taking such an active role in their learning. It freaks me out, what they are learning at school... Not necessarily from teachers either...

JanAl said...

Jenny~ Hey thanks for directing them to me! LOL! (Like I would have any worthy to say)!

I am not sure how it works in your state, but I believe you can "talk" religion with them if they ask you first(?)
Maybe DEE can answer this one(?)

No matter where you are, don't forget to Believe it. Defend it. Proclaim it.
Love you! And I cannot say this enough, I am sooo thankful for the testimony God has given you and that you use it to bring Him Glory!
You go Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

these are the basics, unless things have changed recently:

you can use the Bible as a reference book, but you can't teach it as absolute truth.

promoting personal religious beliefs and preferences are not allowed on school property and during school hours.

students can initiate biblical discussion and study, but teachers cannot lead or direct it.

Anonymous said...

that last situation is usually acceptable only in extra-curricular settings, not in the classroom. one must be very careful in the classroom.

Sheldon said...

Dee~ thanks for sharing, :]

Sheldon said...

Sorry! LOL! It is Janal, I keep forgetting Sheldon is logged on! :]

Anonymous said...

lol - when i first read that comment under sheldon's name i thought, "wow, he sure sounds grown up!"

i should have also added that i don't always follow the rules. one gets to know which students(and their parents)are open to discussion and which are not. if i'm not sure, i make sure the student knows where i stand so they can follow up later if they want ;)

i also feel like i should add that although some teachers are openly antagonistic about God and anything remotely religious, it often causes students to dig deeper and try to figure out how to defend their beliefs. i've had many come to me over the years asking for information to aid them in refuting evolution when it comes up in science class :)