CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

11/22/08

You Hypocrite !

How could they ? Isn't that the response when we find out someone is talking about us, or when we see someone break the law.

Yesterday, I had to battle feelings of bitterness. Today, I am filled with love and compassion, (for others, not for myself, Christ is the one who looks upon me with love and compassion), as I examine myself as a hypocrite, and what God's word says about it.

Most often, I do not share with Cleyo the battles I face with other woman. But, I choose to tell him, because he can see that something is bothering me, and I did not want him to take it personal. Cleyo's response is exactly what God had been convicting me of all day. After sharing with Cleyo, (chatter about me), he says... I will tell you what the problem is... women talk too much! That is exactly what God had placed on my heart, as each bitter feeling would build up inside of me. Because of my lack of tongue control, I had given them something to talk about, and I too am guilty of talking about others!

There is not a U in hypocrite ! I am the hypocr-I-te ! How quick I can be to offer advice and accountability, and when the time comes, I fail.

The bitter feelings are gone as I remember advice from a sweet & wise friend about the crucifixion of Christ...

Jesus was INNOCENT, but as he was nailed to the cross, He took upon himself the punishment for all, He never defended himself, never spoke words of hate towards those who were persecuting Him, and looked upon them with love and compassion.


Word of God speak...

We can not fool God...
Job 13:9 Will it be well when He examines you ? Or will you deceive Him as one deceives man ?

Our words condemn us...
Job 15:6 Your own mouth condemns you, and not I ; And your own lips testify against you.

Holier than thou?...
Isaiah 65:5 Who say, 'keep to yourself, do not come near me, for I am holier than you!' These are smoke in my nostrils, A fire that burns all day.

Clean on the outside...
Mathew 23:28 So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness

I bring judgement upon myself...
Romans 2:1 Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgement, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.

Do what you say...
Romans 2:21a & 23 you, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who boast in the law, through your breaking the law, do you dishonor God?

Causing division...
Romans 16:18&19 For such men are slaves not of our Lord Christ, but of their own appetites. And by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting. For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good and
innocent in what is evil.

Wisdom from above...
James 3:17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering without hypocrisy.

*The whole book of James could apply. It has much to say about the tongue. But I do not have that much time.
James 1:26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own
heart, this man's religion is worthless.

James 3:5 So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet boasts of great things. See how great a forest
is set aflame by such a small fire!

Psalm 119:124 Deal with your servant according to your lovingkindness. And teach me Your statutes.


Lord forgive me for being a hypocrite. Help me to practice quietness. Search my heart and reveal it too me. Help me forgive others, as I also need forgiveness. Fill me with Your wisdom.

5 comments:

Kati said...

All I can say is, "OUCH"!!!!

Margaret said...

*sigh* Why do we women create so much drama in our lives? Thank you for the scripture...that is the key. Based on my own experience, it DOES get better.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was convicting!I can be guilty of both an out of control tongue,and behaving like a hypocrite.In some way,or another,we can all be hypocrites.Some women can behave like they are still in high school!Another reminder of why we need a savior.I thought it was so cool,that instead of pointing fingers or talking about the woman,or women that caused you pain, you took a look at yourself in an honest and open manner!
FROM; A FRIEND WHO LOVES YOU DEARLY, AND HAS NOTHING BUT NICE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT YOU!

Jenny said...

I hope you do not mind, I have been reading your blog since you visited mine. What an awesome life that God has blessed you with. How proud He must be in calling you His child, even when you make mistakes. I am so thankful for your sharing and I hope to have the time to read more from you. I felt like a hypocrite this weekend when I visited my family in TX for Thanksgiving. Why do we so often feel so good about what is happening in our lives then with just a few short blows we feel we have blown it all?...

JanAl said...

Jenny~ I don't mind at all, because I have found an interest in your writings, even though I have never met you! When people have Christ as their common ground, it is easy to build a relationship. I am in the process of writing a "fuller" version of my testimony. I am feeling very attacked from many different areas. Areas where I think I am doing something good, but I am getting beat down. I know it is satan trying to prevent me from writing this testimony, because he knows that Christ will not get the Glory He deserves. I also know that there is no good in me, there is only God!
I hope my testimony will be a blessing to you. I can't say for sure when I will finish it, hopefully this month! When you see "Finished", by my profile, you will know it is done!