CHARM is DECEPTIVE, and BEAUTY is FLEETING, but a woman who FEARS the LORD is to be PRAISED . Proverbs 31:30

4/26/09

20 Years later.......

Yesterday, I realized that is has been exactly twenty years since I was taken away from my mother. I have shared with many people some of my history, but Praise be to God for taking away certain memories, and the feelings of pain that comes with them. I am so thankful that my mind does not dwell in the past, although sometimes it can be a bad thing, like when a friend, maybe from high school, says "remember.......", and I have no memory of it. It is not that I did not enjoy and love my friends, but my mind just does not retain memories, and that has been for my good.
Pictures are one thing that will stir a lost memory, but there is no other thing that stirs a memory from my childhood like taking these Foster training classes.

Twenty years ago, I was 13, living with my mom and my sister, in Sacramento, Ca.
I can clearly remember that night, more than any other in my entire life. Writing this is not easy, I can not hold in the emotions that come from that night, but I want to share what the Lord has done, and soon, I hope to post more testimony of what God has saved me from, in my profile.

We were at the Sacramento River all day. Two things you must know, 1. we were homeless living in a car, 2. my mother is-was a drug/alcohol addict, with Schizophrenia.
I will try to shorten this story.
With the Schizophrenia, her mind was not in "reality". Her mind produced"stories", only there was NO fact to them. Some examples are~ the Government was after her because she witnessed a murder, she was Mary-mother of Jesus, I can remember several times being beat because I was a "clone" or that someone planted a listening device in me to track her......basically, I was beaten like I was her enemy. On this evening, that God would save me from certain death, and I am not exaggerating. I had survived many severe beatings, and this next part is very graphic, but it is the truth, she would take me behind grocery stores, with a butcher knife, and threaten to kill me and cut me into small pieces and throw me into the dumpster, how that never happened, I can only say that God wrapped His hands of protection around me.
Ok, I was trying to keep this short...that evening, her mind created a story that she blamed me for, and beat me to near death. She left, with my sister. It was dark, and I was scared. Being abandoned, in strange places, was becoming very common. I would usually hide in a tree, or in some bushes (fear that a stranger would take me, the crazy part is, that I would have probably been better off), and some time later she would come back for me.
After she left me, I hid in the bushes. Scared, crying and in pain. Around an hour later, a park ranger found me. How he found me? Only by God's guiding. It was a long walk downhill, and the area was thick with trees and bushes. He was in a vehicle, so the path must have been wide enough for his vehicle.
This was not the first time being taken away from my mother. I can remember, two times right before this, being taken into Children service agency, with obvious bruises all over my body, but they gave me back to my mom. Why? Because I lied, and told them that my mom did not do it. Why? Because, I loved my mom. I had a fear of leaving her. I had a fear that she would die if I left her. She would tell me that she could not live without me, and as a child, my love for my mom was unconditional.

Why share this?
Because I know that God has a plan and a purpose for me! God did not save my life, or my soul, that I should live for myself. My history, is "His-story".
I give Him ALL Praise,Honor and Glory, for giving me life, not just on this earth, but that He has given His Son as a one time sacrifice, that I may enter eternity, to enjoy Him forever..........

*BTW~ I did not plan on sharing this. I wanted to post about the foster training classes, that we took yesterday, and how convicted I am, that God wants us to keep our home open. Don't panic. I am not ready to take on any more right now, but I have battled selfish thoughts about my future. Our home may not be perfect, and we are not perfect parents, but these kids need a safe place to go, and a family that will not give up on them. I won't go into detail, but I am furious that the system protects and gives endless chances to birth parents, and these children are the ones suffering the consequences!

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh Janal, thank you for sharing part of your story. It's just something I can hardly imagine. God most definitely has a plan for you. I think it is so awesome that you want to shelter other little children. God's love and blessings on you...

Anonymous said...

i echo margaret's sentiments. even though i know quite a bit of your story, it's always encouraging to hear how God takes the ugliness of our past and turns it into something very beautiful. He has certainly gifted you with a compassionate heart.

Kati said...

God will honor your desire to minister to children. He's the One who's given you that desire, after all.

Thank you for sharing, Janal. Praise to the One who turns our ashes to beauty!

Jodi Bradshaw said...

Wow! I cannot even begin to imagine what you have gone through. It is amazing to hear how God sovereignly protected you. You can minister to people in ways that few people can. Thanks for telling part of your story!

Charity said...

Janal, you are a continual reminder to me of the amazing way God can turn something ugly and painful into something beautiful and glorious. I love you!

Rod and Sara said...

God Is SO GOOD to redeem our lives! Thank you for sharing your story, JanAl! I am so glad that God has placed us in the same church... you and your family have been a testimony of Jesus to me! Love you!

JanAl said...

God is So Good! I am so thankful for all the love I get from people around me! I can not begin to explain how that has affected me!

I have never kept track of how many years it has been, I am not even sure why I was reminded that it has been 20 years, but what has really hit home, is that Sheldon, right now, is the same age I was when I was taken away from my mom. So, to look at his life and the differences, has been (a little) overwhelming. I praise God that He broke this generational legacy.

I think that I made Sheldon a little nervous yesterday, because he asked me, "why are you staring at me and smiling?", not even realizing that I was doing it, I quickly denied it. But, inside I was praising God for giving these children a "normal" life. :}

lisa said...

Hi Janal,
I found your site from a link on Margaret's! I just have to comment as I sit here in tears. As the mother of an adopted son with a sketchy past (not sure I even know all of it), I can't tell you how inspiring it is to see you a healthy, real, blessed child of God who is able to see past the pain and bless others. This is my prayer for my son. I even pray that he can share Jesus with his mom some day. I just can't even put in words how this touched my heart! God Bless you as you continue to make beauty from ashes!
Thanks for sharing !
Lisa

JanAl said...

Lisa~
Thanks for visiting my blog. God only knows, where or what I would be without Him! I have to testify to what He has done for me, how could I not? I know of God's Sovereignty, because I would not be alive today without His protection, and if I lived through my childhood on my own, then going by "statistics", I should be a drug/alcohol addict and worse.

God has placed this child in your home for a reason. Keep pointing him to Christ. I have to tell you at our last training class, (in regards to a 17 year old girl, that is repeating a long family history, and the 17 year told the foster mom of her baby, that their was no hope for her, but she wanted her two year old baby to have a chance) the trainer advised the foster parent, that their was no hope for this teenager, if she (the foster mom) was the only one encouraging her. This really bothered me. After class I pulled her aside, and hopefully encouraged her to not lose hope. Looking back, I can name people that God has placed in my life. To feed me, to love on me, to guide me, to tell me about Christ, to teach me how to be a mom, and so on.....
I will never understand, and I will forever be humbled that God chose me. Many children lose their lives to abusive parents, or turn out to be just like them. I will never be able to explain why, but I KNOW that He has a plan and purpose for me, and my prayer is that I will bring Glory to God, by sharing Who He is, and What He has done.
Thanks again for visiting my blog.

Amanda said...

Janal,
I've been putting off commenting... I will not allow myself the emotion right now that would come if I were to type all that I really want to say. So I will just say thanks for sharing and I love you! Our blog signature, "Endure" has a whole new meaning after reading this post. You have inspired me in so many ways in the past few months... I don't even know how to thank you. I thank God for you everyday... and the tears are coming and I'm stopping there!

Love you!
Endure, sister!